all shall love me and despair

i'm just a girl tryin to make a dolla out of yoohoo bottles

Thursday, March 23, 2006

ever feel like those english- as- a- second language- folks are playing that role too well?

no? guess its just me

I just came from a local--ok, orkney, the cat that accompanies this lovely home, just jumped on this desk i'm typing on. he's such a character! ill share more in another blog-- sorry, where was i? oh, right. so i just came from a local grocery store to pick up some cookies and tylenol. i didn't want to buy a whole bottle, so i asked the cashier if he sold the -- ah, let me reenact the scene for you:

me: [glances over the 7 dolla bottle] 7 dollas?!? excuse me, do you guys sell the individual packets of tylenol?
english as 2nd language dude : wha?
me: you know, the single packets of tylenol...they sell them in two's? in an, um, plastic packet?
english as 2nd language dude: [shakes head vehemently and starts ringing my chips ahoy cookies]
me: really? do you know what im talkin about? if you dont want to buy a whole bottle, you can purchase the individual tylenol packets--
english as 2nd language dude: no, we don't sell!! $4.79!
me: [finds the packets right next to the cashier] here they are! this is what i was talking about! did you not understand what i was saying? i said the tylenol packets in two's! what did think i was saying?
english as a 2nd language dude: i don't know
me: but i kept sayin...

anyhoo, i went on for another 10 secs, and would have let it go, but this guy was rude. and i think he knew exactly what i meant, but chose to look at me like i didn't know what the hell i was talkin about...which most of the time is true, but not that time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home