all shall love me and despair

i'm just a girl tryin to make a dolla out of yoohoo bottles

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Jehovah witnesses love me

it's true, they do.  it's only because i treat them as humans. sounds simple, yeah? my favorite aunt is a Jehovah witness. she is 90 years old.  so out of respect and love i have for her, i welcome my space to them.

when i was 6 years old, my sis and i spent a summer with her and my uncle in rochester, new york. we would attend kingdom hall, go door-to-door , handing out watchtower magazines. i loved it. i was a beast. my aunt was convinced i would become one. 

there's a funny tale my aunt likes to share. back in the late 80s, Jehovah witnesses would ask for donations of a dollar. well, one particular morning, we're preaching the good word to this gentleman, and followed up with a optional donations request. 

man: i only have 60 cents
6 year old me: well, too bad.


and i left that man.

today i invited two witnesses to my home for bible study. our beliefs are very different, but i listened, and shared. it was really nice. i called my aunt to tell her about it. she was tickled, and  nearly screamed with excitement. "it's just Bible study, nothin more". 

i know i made her day. and for that alone, i will continue meeting with those Jehovah witnesses, even if i have no intent of joining them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mz Pitts said...

aww! memories.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home