all shall love me and despair

i'm just a girl tryin to make a dolla out of yoohoo bottles

Sunday, January 22, 2017

mother & daughter dynamic

today, a quote from a young female filmmaker comes to mind. we were working on a proposal for this new project. she was a new mother and i asked her how motherhood changed her. she barely paused for a second, still keeping her focus on her laptop and responded "when we're hungry, my daughter eats first."

my role as daughter to my mother has shifted exactly to that. every meal she eats, i serve her first. if leftover casserole only has room for one stomach, my mum gets it. it's never a battle or even a thought. it comes pretty naturally.

since my mum has been ill,  people often say to me what a good daughter i am. i know they have good intentions when they say it, but i'm often uncomfortable when i hear it. why is caring for my mother an exception rather than the norm? the bond between mother and child never changes, just the code sometimes. i'm only giving back what ive received my whole entire life.

it's sunday afternoon and my mum is craving this cauliflower coconut bisque my sister made once. my sister and i have very different cooking styles. she follows recipes to a tee. i, however, glance and make adjustments.

i hope she enjoys my version because i really want the last piece of saturday's leftover.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mz Pitts said...

Oh, no, no. I made my spiced cauliflower soup bookoo times. Check facts, yo.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very cool and very well expressed. Thanks for sharing and glad to see your blog back. Blessings :-)

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home